They started me on pitocin at 11:00 and my doctor came to break my water at 12:50. Labor accelerated soon after and I began giving myself time goals before I allowed myself to get an epidural. I made it all the way to 2:30 before I asked for one and life was much better after :)
I knew something was not quite right when he came out. They didn't want to give him to me cause they wanted to check him out. Little did I know he had the umbilical cord around his neck although not for long. He was apparently being a typical boy and had some difficulty breathing (or so that's what the nurses and doctor told me). Aside from his breathing I was having some medical issues. On his way out, Conall decided to give me a fourth degree internal tear. Because internal tears are not that common my doctor was trying to decide whether or not to call in another doctor due to the severity of the tear and the amount of blood I was losing. Fortunately, I didn't need extra blood and she was able to patch me up. Also because of where the tear was, I was placed on a heavy round of antibiotics through IV for the rest of my stay.
I wont go into any more specific details, but let's just say this birth was difficult. Him coming out so soon was not. I was not a big stickler for birth plans, but let's just say this was definitely NOT in my plan. I imagined giving birth and immediately getting to hold my baby and make sweet eye contact and have an amazing bonding experience. Then we'd room together and I could start nursing him asap. Instead I didn't get to hold my baby for about 40 minutes. Once I finally could, it was only for a moment and then he had to go to the transition nursery to get oxygen. Then he was transferred to the NICU and I wasn't allowed to visit until my epidural wore off. It wasn't until about three hours after his birth that I got to see him and cuddle him. The NICU staff were wonderful, but I hated having to wait for an open window with my antibiotics and then have to be wheeled to the complete other side of the hospital to see my baby.
The last day at the hospital was particularly tough. Apparently staff changes on Thursday and I had inept nurses who could've cared less about me seeing my baby. They told me I couldn't go when I had planned to because of the IV. Then they never came to give it to me. The lactation consultant came for a bit and then left promising to come back so I waited a bit for her. I had to wait 3 hours to see him when it was all said and done. Let's just say I was NOT a happy mommy. People were probably wondering why this lady was crying hysterically down the hall as I finally got to see my baby.
But we are home now and finally getting adjusted to each other and to a somewhat regular schedule. He's such a sweet baby and I love getting in my baby cuddles! It was all worth it, and I look forward to watching him grow (although not too fast!) and our many adventures together.
No comments:
Post a Comment